Sidney B. Meadows Fund Hands Out Scholarships
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund recently awarded scholarships to 12 students from nine southeastern universities.
The scholarship fund was created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association (SNA), Seven of the awards are named scholarships honoring past industry leaders.
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. This year’s recipients includes 12 students — six graduate students and six undergraduates.
Each award of $1,500, totaling $18,000, has been presented to these scholars:
- Ellie Chetelat, Morgan State University
- Josey Lynn Darby, Texas A&M University (Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship)
- Alexandria Garcia, University of Florida (Richard J. Hackney Scholarship)
- April Elizabeth Hausle, North Carolina State University
- Chi Linh Dinh Nguyen, University of Florida (Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Scholarship)
- Lauryn Elizabeth Polito, Mississippi State University (Lee C. Howell Scholarship)
- Brian Alan Schulker, North Carolina State University
- Alyssa Renee Steele, University of Maryland (Art & Millie Lancaster Scholarship)
- William C. Tolley, Western Kentucky University
- Jason Edward Watson, Texas Tech University
- Jacob Logan Winkles, University of Georgia (Robert L. Vanlandingham Scholarship)
- James Douglas Zimmerman, University of Tennessee (Dr. Bryson L. James Scholarship)
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” said Danny Summers, executive vice president of the fund.
“We continue to hear from recipients how important these awards are in reducing their financial stress allowing them the ability to concentrate more on their studies. I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry in the future. I look forward to seeing their accomplishments as they complete their studies,” he said.
The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to work toward their educational goals. With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $576,000 since the fund was established in 1989.
The fund’s current assets are now more than $1,020,000. Eight named funds have been pledged to date: The Larry D. Edwards Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Fund, Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Dr. Bryson L. James Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund.
More details on scholarship recipients can be found at www.sbmsef.org