Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund Awards $18,000 in Scholarships
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund, created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association (SNA), has announced the names of 12 students from nine southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year.
Five of the awards are named scholarships honoring past industry leaders, including the new award named to honor Dr. Bryson L. James for the 40+ years of service to the Southern Nursery Association as Director of Horticultural Research. Each award of $1,500, totaling $18,000, has been presented to the following:
- Katelin Borden, University of Florida
- Sean Patrick Caton, University of Georgia – Robert L. Vanlandingham Scholarship
- Garrett Shane Ford, University of Georgia – Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Scholarship
- Zachary William Jones, University of Maryland – Art & Millie Lancaster Scholarship
- Claire Elizabeth Krofft, Auburn University – Lee C. Howell Scholarship
- Joanna Lambert, Louisiana State University – Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship
- Nathan Allen Maren, North Carolina State University
- Juan Fernando Moscoso, University of Arkansas
- Darle Bailey Riordan, University of Kentucky
- Angela Rowe, University of Georgia
- Angelia Dynette Ryker, University of Tennessee, Dr. Bryson L. James Scholarship
- Zia V. Williamson, University of Georgia
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. This year’s recipients were chosen from a very competitive group of applicants. Of the twelve students, three are graduate students and nine are under graduate. This year’s number of applications was at an all-time high and one of the most competitive to date.
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” said Danny Summers, executive vice president of the fund.
“We continue to hear from recipients how important these awards are in reducing their financial stress allowing them the ability to concentrate more on their studies,” he said. “I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry in the future. I look forward to seeing their accomplishments as they complete their studies.”
With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $540,000 since the fund was established in 1989. The fund’s current assets are now more than $900,000. Seven named funds have been pledged to date: The Larry D. Edwards Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Fund, Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Dr. Bryson L. James Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund. The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to work toward their educational goals.
An application for 2020 scholarships will be available online by January 1, 2020.
More details can be found at www.sbmsef.org.