Every year California Spring Trials guarantees breeders’ new variety introductions, but here are some standout merchandising display ideas from this year’s event.
Syngenta Pacific Plug & Liner
1. Use “decision tree” signage to decipher fruit size, harvest dates and more. (Syngenta)
2. Describe just what customers can expect to taste; for example, this Hula Berry display reads: “I taste like pineapple.” (Pacific Plug & Liner)
3. Gardeners can now harvest tomatoes AND potatoes from a single plant with the hand-grafted Ketchup ‘n’ Fries. (Plug Connection)
4. Decorative stakes plant the seed that tomatoes make a great Valentine’s Day gift, especially when the fruits are heart-shaped! (Hem Genetics)
Plug Connection Hem Genetics
Grab and Go
1. A “gateway to gardening” section features ready-to-take-home containers that require little work for the customer. (Ball Horticultural Co.)
2. Confetti Garden combinations are now available in grab-and-go six packs so gardeners can build their favorite mixes on their own. (Dümmen Orange)
3. Mini calla lilies with retail-ready packaging make great impulse purchases. (Golden State Bulb Growers)
Ball Horticultural Co. Dümmen Orange Golden State Bulb Growers
Think Outside the Pot
1. Escalate succulents with wine-bottle plantings that could surely catch shoppers’ eyes and warrant a premium price. (EuroAmerican Propagators)
2. Upcycling makes a can’t-miss display with painted tires to complement large plantings. (Athena Brazil)
3. Flip old pallets upright for an easy and inexpensive solution for a small space. (Syngenta)
EuroAmerican Propagators Athena Brazil
Just a small splash of color can make a huge difference. Black containers and terra-cotta pots were nowhere in sight with:
1. The new Lollipop impatiens series at Benary,
2. Sun Harmony impatiens at Danziger and
3. Adansa and Ambella campanula at Pacific Plug & Liner.
Pacific Plug & Liner
Remind your customers that the gardening season doesn’t have to end with summer.
1. A display featuring cool-loving crops is sure to inspire some end-of-season sales (EuroAmerican Propagators)
2. Take advantage of late-season holiday displays with cold-tolerant varieties. (Floranova)
EuroAmerican Propagators Floranova
View standout merchandising display ideas from the 2015 California Spring Trials.