Royal Anthos logo

Apr 1, 2024
Garden Media Group announces alliance to boost flower bulb sales

The Garden Media Group and Royal Anthos have solidified their ongoing partnership with a three-year strategic alliance intended to boost flower bulb sales across the U.S. Royal Anthos has secured a European Union grant, underlining their efforts to expand the use and sales of European bulbs in the U.S. market.

The program is backed by a substantial budget of €1.9 million, with the EU grant funding 80 percent. Members of Royal Anthos are committed to supporting the initiative by contributing the remaining 20 percent of the finances. This is the second grant Royal Anthos has secured from the EU for this purpose.

“We have seen a marked increase in sales since our first EU promotion,” said Mark-Jan Terwindt, director of Royal Anthos. The 2023 National Gardening Survey reported an increase in bulb sales of 36 percent from 2021 to 2022. The United States is the largest flower bulb importer in the world and the largest importer of European flower bulbs.

This collaboration signifies a continuing commitment by Royal Anthos to leverage Garden Media’s expertise in horticulture marketing and promotion. Together, the companies intend to cultivate a dynamic campaign to increase education about flower bulbs and American-grown cut flowers like tulips and lilies grown from European bulbs.

“Drawing on our 35 years of strong connections with a wide array of premier influencers, reputable gardening platforms, and distinguished garden editors across the country, we aim to surpass the impressive reach of our previous EU campaign,” said Katie Dubow, president of Garden Media. “Our strategy attracts a larger audience to flower bulb gardening as a hobby, significantly boosting retailers’ ability to sell their bulbs.”

Leading Garden Media’s team is Peggy Anne Montgomery, a horticulturist and previous longtime resident of the Netherlands.

“I’m thrilled to continue my work with Royal Anthos,” she said. “My dream job is sharing my love of flower bulbs and knowing home gardeners will be successful growing them. I’m so proud to represent this amazing group of European bulb growers and exporters.”

This campaign presents exciting opportunities for retailers to capitalize on the growing demand for flower bulbs in the U.S. By leveraging this educational campaign, expanding product offerings and engaging with consumers, retailers can enhance their bulb sales and strengthen their position in the market. Consumers can look to, their consumer promotional arm, for inspiration and education to share, and their social media channels for news in real time.