The Society of American Florists’ annual goodwill giveaway, in which floral businesses hand out two bouquets — one for the recipient to keep and one for them to give away — returns Wednesday, Oct. 18.
For the last eight years, thousands of floral industry members in all 50 states have organized their teams on one day in October to take part in Petal It Forward, SAF’s goodwill initiative where participants hand two flowers or bouquets to an unsuspecting stranger, urging them to keep one and share the other with someone else. It’s a powerful way to illustrate the positive health benefits of giving and receiving flowers. Science has proven that flowers reduce stress and anxiety and make people happy. Let’s come together as an industry and spread the power of flowers.
Steps for a Successful Petal It Forward
1. Save the date! Petal It Forward 2023 is Wednesday, Oct. 18.
2. Register your business so that SAF can provide optimal support to your team and keep an accurate count of the Petal It Forward participants nationwide, so you can share that with your local media.
3. Coordinate with your team and industry partners. Craft a plan for what you plan to pass out on Oct. 18 and how you plan to run the day, depending on your team’s workload and availability, product availability and other factors.
4. Scout your resources. SAF has tons of new and updated resources you can use this year, including:
5. Get social. The real impact of your efforts will be felt on social media this year. Make sure you post photos and encourage recipients to share their best shots with relevant hashtags, including #PetalItForward.
6. Share your stories. Be sure to tag SAF in your social media posts or send an email to Amanda Jedlinsky after the event with some of your favorite moments, so that we can share in the good cheer generated through this year’s event.