Spring Meadow Nursery Introduces New Varieties for 2023 Trade Shows
Spring Meadow Nursery has unveiled 25 new Proven Winners ColorChoice shrub varieties for 2023, many of which will be available for viewing in January in the Spring Meadow booth at trade shows across the country.
Adding to existing Proven Winners ColorChoice shrub series are:
- Hibiscus ‘Red Pillar’ and ‘Starblast Chiffon’
- Spirea ‘Double Play Dolly’
- Chaenomeles ‘Double Take Eternal White’
- Syringa ‘Bloomerang Purpink’
- Weigela ‘Sonic Bloom Wine’
Four introductions feature variegated foliage.
- Weigela ‘Bubbly Wine’, a brightly colored selection of the popular ‘Fine Wine’ weigela, with yellow, green and burgundy hues on a compact, mounded shrub.
- Hibiscus ‘Paraplu Adorned’, with foliage that flushes bright yellow in spring with splotches of dark green variegation that appear in the center of each leaf.
- Vicary privet ‘Good Vibrations’
- Abelia ‘Mucho Gusto’, with silver-green foliage outlined by a creamy-white margin.
Continuing with heat tolerant selections, Spring Meadow has added several cultivars that can take the heat to their 2023 catalog.
- Camellia ‘Just Chill Red Tip’
- Gardenia ‘Pillow Talk
- Japanese privet ‘Kindly’
- Cestrum ‘Juiced Orange’
- Sarcococca ‘Sweet & Lo’, an extra bushy selection with glossy, dark green foliage and fragrant, thread-like, white flowers with red tips.
- Chitalpa ‘El Niño, an intergeneric hybrid of desert willow (Chilopsis linearis) and catalpa (Catalpa sp.). This hybridization gives it a wide growing range as it is tolerant to the poor soils and dry heat of the West, as well as mildew resistance for southern climates.
Evergreens are also a hallmark of this year’s Spring Meadow introductions. Adding to its series of evergreens that can act as a replacement for boxwood is:
- Ilex ‘Squeeze Box’, the first-ever upright, pyramidal inkberry.
- Pyracomeles ‘Berry Box’, showy all season, from its button-like blooms in the spring and late summer/fall pea-sized berries that change from orange to red.
- Chamaecyparis ‘Cedar Rapids’, a fast-growing feathery selection of false cypress with fresh-looking, lime-green foliage.
Spring Meadow has introduced three new hydrangea cultivars for growers in 2023.
- Hydrangea ‘Let’s Dance Lovable’, a robust and reliable rebloomer that can produce hot pink or royal purple flowers.
- Hydrangea ‘Tuff Stuff Top Fun’ is heavy flowering and blooms in hot pink or vibrant purple. Dark blue-green foliage takes on shades of burgundy in late summer. It also boasts much-improved reblooming and an irresistibly tidy habit.
- Hydrangea ‘Pinky Winky Prime’, impresses with bigger, fuller blooms that age to a richer pink than its namesake. The large, pointed panicles emerge pure white and then gradually transform to a saturated hot pink starting from the bottom and moving to the tip.
Finally, Spring Meadow has recently introduced new roses to the Proven Winners ColorChoice line.
- Rosa ‘Oso Easy Ice Bay’
- Rosa ‘Rise Up Emberays’
- Rosa ”Flavorette Honey-Apricot’
For information on Proven Winners ColorChoice 2023 introductions, visit SpringMeadowNursery.com. Spring Meadow will be in attendance at Northern Green (MN), Green & Grown’ (NC), INLA Hort Expo (ID), Gulf States Expo, Great Lakes Trade Expo (MI), TotalPro Expo (NJ), and iLandscape in Schaumberg, IL.